Stress Management: Maintaining Your Health Under Pressure
Often during times of stress, the first things to fall from our routine are a healthy diet and adequate sleep. This can lead to fatigue, the inability to focus and feelings of anxiety. Here’s how to help maintain your health during stressful times:
- Go to bed by 10 pm. Melatonin, the body’s “night-time hormone”, is secreted and works optimally between 10 pm and 3 am. Sleeping during this time will ensure your body is being protected from the damaging effects of free radicals and leave you more alert and energetic during the day.
- Do not multi task. This sounds like a simple thing – even counterintuitive – but people under stress often report an inability to focus. Taking on multiple tasks at once can be very taxing on your stress response. Instead, try planning your day the night before or make a list of things to do at the beginning of your day and focus on completing one task at a time.
- Avoid consuming anything with caffeine in it. Caffeine is a stimulant which may provide your body with a short jolt of energy, but will inevitably leave you feeling more depleted and can lead to disruptive sleep patterns.
- Breathe deeply. People under stress typically tense their shoulders and chest and therefore tend to take shallow breaths. Take two breaks in the day to take 30 slow deeps breaths in a quiet place.
- Make time to enjoy yourself and laugh daily.
- When you are under stress you are more prone to rapid fluctuations in blood sugar. Eat small meals throughout the day, with adequate amounts of protein. When eating a carbohydrate be sure to combine it with a protein and a fat.
For more information about Dr. Melanie Leppelman
ND please visit www.thenaturedoctors.ca